Saturday, October 21, 2006

Mixtapes and Writing

When I write, I generally like to have some music in the background. It helps me think and keeps me grounded. Lately, I've been scouring the Internet for songs about (as depressing as it sounds) dysfunctional families, sometimes-flaky mothers, and on the flip side of that, redemption, forgiveness, and love, for some inspiration. The list I have for one such mixtape is good so far; but it could be better. Let me know any of your ideas so I can add them (I'm counting on you Scott).

C'mon, Mom (The Elected)
The Funeral (Band of Horses)
Don't Die in Me (Mirah)
Mother (John Lennon)
In the Sun Joseph Arthur
Romulus (Sufjan Stevens)
Upward Over The Mountain (Iron And Wine)
Pittsfield (Sufjan Stevens)
That was the Worst Christmas Ever (Sufjan Stevens)
Love Is Real (John Lennon)
Shes Leaving Home (The Beatles)
In My Life (The Beatles)
Stand by Me (Ben E. King)
Stand By Me (John Lennon)
Transatlanticism (Death Cab for Cutie)
What Sarah Said (Death Cab For Cutie)

9 comments:

Bobby said...

you've got some great songs on there...one i would add would be "I will follow you into the dark" by death cab for cutie. I know you have a couple songs from them allread but man is it good. There is also "Mad world" by Gary Jules...one of my alltime favorite depressing songs, "Halleluja" by Jeff Buckley also really good. And my last recommendation is "in the sun" by joseph arthur... ok i'm gonna stop now.

Dan Krause said...

Those are some great tunes. Mad World perfectly ended the movie Donnie Darko. I will Follow You is great as well. One of the most beautiful songs...

jonathandy said...

I'll keep my ears peeled. You know me and music: we're like pickles and potatoes. What?

Scott Lee said...

I really wanted to have 10, but here's what I have so far.

The Get Up Kids - Don't Hate Me
The Get Up Kids - How Long Is Too Long
The Get Up Kids - The Dark Night of the Saul
The Spill Canvas - Self-Conclusion
Saves the Day - In Reverie

Dan Krause said...

There's this radio station here that's comparable to Seattle's KEXP. I sent a request to one of their most knowledgeable DJs for suggestions and they responded! They had this to say:

Hello Dan,

Well, family dysfunction always makes me think immediately of the music of Red House Painters. Mark Kozelek, before he founded the band Sun Kil
Moon, seemed to be all about familial (and personal) dysfunction with RHP. There's "Uncle Joe" for starters, a tour-de-force of family pathos. A few other songs seem to connote pre-teen depression and alienation, like "Mother" and "Rollercoaster" off of the first of their two self-titled CDs on the 4AD label, and then "Have You Forgotten" off of "Songs For A Blue Guitar" brings up all kinds of youthful memories.

That's off the top of my head ... I'm extremely busy here, so I'll try to keep thinking ...


I think it's extremely cool he got back to me so quickly. This station is awesome. You should all listen to the stream online. It's called 89.3 The Current.

jonathandy said...

The song "Hurt" by Christina Aguilera just came out (maybe?) and it has incredible parallels to your story. Maybe you could build some contraption in to the binding of the book and choose a theme song that plays whenever it is openned. Maybe your blog-interacters could compete for which recommended song wins and then that person would get a 1% share of the millions you sell. Maybe you could...

Dan Krause said...

Crap...as much as I hate to admit it. I actually like the Christina Aguilara song. The lyrics are good...now only if someone with Indie cred sang the song...hmmm...unfortunately, they'd lose it all if they covered it.

jonathandy said...

I almost started my recommendation with "I hate to admit it, but..." Yeah, I know she's not the favored name to be propagating, but she does sing well and that song is not the norm for her. It's okay Dan, you can sheepishly like it with me.

Dan Krause said...

What if I'm being coy and I have all of her CDs...I'm not, but what if...